|Size (Diameter) ||Pitch (mm) ||Thread Form ||Style |
|M5 ||0.8 ||Metric Coarse ||Free Running - Tanged Threaded Pre-winder |
About our Economy Pre-wind Threaded Mandrel Tools
These tools have a threaded mandrel within a tool body with a pre-wind nozzle, which is necessary for the installation of screw locking wire thread inserts, where the insert must be compressed (pre-wound) prior to installation in the tapped hole.
Threaded tools can also be used with free running inserts and are particularly useful for fine pitch threads, as it aids pitch control during the installation process.
How to use a pre-winder:
- Withdraw the threaded mandrel from the main tool body:
- With a window style tool the mandrel will only need to be withdrawn to the top edge of the window.
- With a full body style tool the mandrel will need to be withdrawn completely.
- Wind the insert onto the threaded portion of the mandrel, ensuring that the driving tang is fully engaged with the abutment (raised edge) of the tool. It is essential that the insert tang is fully engaged with the driving abutment of the inserting mandrel prior to installation, otherwise this can cause issues such as premature tang break off.
- Move the threaded mandrel with the engaged insert towards the nozzle.
- Wind the insert clockwise into the nozzle until it meets the nozzle opening.
- Place the tool squarely over the tapped hole.
- Continue winding until the insert is positioned approximately 1/4 to 1/2 a turn below the surface of the tapped hole.
- Unwind the threaded insert.